Version 2.0Version 3.0 test setupFinal bikeleft sideImproved cooling added3D printed brush holderRegistration Papers
LocationEbersberg, Bavaria Germany map
Email email image
Vehicle1994 Cagiva Mito 1
125cc Mito 1 converted to electric drive.
MotorAgni Motors 95R
ControllerAlltrax 72V
Batteries24 Winston 40Ah, 3.20 Volt, Lithium Iron Phosphate
I removed all CALB batteries from the pack and replaced them by Winston LiFePO4.

The CALB caused nothing but problems.
System Voltage76 Volts
DC/DC Converter
DMC, German Company
InstrumentationVoltmeter, Ampmeter, Temperature outside and
motor, EMUS BMS
Top Speed68 MPH (109 KPH)
Testrun already >110km/h, was still
accelerating. Have to make further tests.
AccelerationTurtle mode. Have to switch sprockets to get
into rabbit mode.

Update: replaced 43 sprocket by 56 sprocket, acceleration is now on fun level, however I strongly recommend installing a gear box on your built like Kymco Super Nex did it.

Range30 Miles (48 Kilometers)
Still trying. Hoping for 40 miles, will see
in the future.
Seating Capacity1 adult
Curb Weight332 Pounds (150 Kilograms)
Conversion TimeVersion 1.0 - 3 years (learning phase). I
used 30x30 aluminium profile for the
what a waste of space.

Version 2.0 approx. 2 years (learning 3D
printing, learning battery technology and
new techniques). Here I used 20x20
frame, was better but still not perfect.

Version 3 - street legal !! (10 months).
Built only with aluminium plates and
threaded rod. Had to source new frame,
tires, suspension...almost everything, but
had access to water jet cutter that saved
a lot of time. 3D printing is also helpful
for rapid testing. I also made some carbon
parts, interesting stuff for the next
Conversion Costin-between 15 and 20k (over 6 years, doesn't feel that expensive).

If you WANT an electric bike, go and buy one. Building one is way to expensive. If you want to LEARN something exciting and do your own thing...than go ahead and start builidng.
Additional Featuresstreet legal, now its testing time :)


Install a gear box on your build. Acceleration makes only fun the first mph. After a certain speed your acceleration is no longer impressive.

Using a gear box gives you the opportunity using a smaller engine and smaller battery pack. In addition, you'll always have the optimum acceleration. For my next built I want to use a BMW boxer as a donor, as the shaft drive and gear box comes in a tight package...and of course I love BMW's ;)

Furthermore, using a battery pack consiting of 24 individuell cells (40Ah) is not the best option. Several CALB cells died from my battery pack. Due to my EMUS BMS with CAN Bus I couldn't charge my pack with one defective cell. For my next built I suggest using a Tesla like battery pack, consisting of houndreds of 18650 cells. If one cell dies, you'll hardly recognize it in your EV performance.

I recommend using a brushless motor. My AGNI brushholder slightly burned due to excess amperes. I had to source a replacment brush holder in France for almost 250�. The next thing I did was 3D printing my own brush holder in order to be independet from limited supply.

Additional cooling was added to the Agni motor as well. Despite beeing installed in the EV airflow, the motor got quite hot. Now an electric fan is installed to the outside of the motor, pushing about 50 liter/s through the housing.

Update: 31.05.2020
The last time I rode the bike I noticed problems during acceleration. I checked the batteries and found one dead. 2 Weeks later 2 more batteries were almost dead. So, I decided to take this bike out of service. As I only rode about 50miles in 2 years, It doesn't make sense to spend more and more money into it. The range is to small to use it for daily comuting.

As I have 3 other petrol bikes that I'm using on a daily basis, I don't want to spent further time and money on this 'white elephant'. The bike will be well stored. Maybe I'll get the chance to put it into the living room.

In the meantime, I'm already planing to built the next e-bike either basing on fuel cells or battery only. Unfortunately, looking at the costs for batteries, motor, controller etc....buying a brand new zero srf or energica makes more sense...we will see :)

If you've got any questions, don't hestitate to contact me. Best regards, Bene

code by jerry